Arizona Wines - Exploring the Wilcox Region
While Arizona wines may not be as familiar or popular as California, they are definitely not ones to be ignored.
I personally have a few of my favorite Arizona wines and I wanted to introduce you to one of them in particular.
Pillsbury Wines is a family owned and operated high elevation estate vineyard located in Willcox, AZ, just about an hour east of Tucson. They also have a tasting room located in Cottonwood, AZ about 30 minutes outside of Sedona.
Mr. Sam Pillsbury is the mastermind Wine maker & creator behind Pillsbury wines. Pillsbury grapes are hand harvested and sorted their team.
His passion for winemaking can be enjoyed as you pour yourself a glass of one of their many estate wines.
Sam believes in making “Food Wines” not, “Cocktail Wines.”
Willcox’s popularity in Arizona wine is due to several factors; lots of space, a full aquifer, good alluvial soil, a unique climate similar to the growing regions in Argentina, and land is fairly inexpensive. Grapes have been grown in the Willcox region for over 30 years & are currently producing over 74% of the grapes in Arizona. A majority of the terroir’s wines produce a high minerality. Boasting many beautiful bold reds, crisp whites and a few dessert wines as well.
A few of my favorite Pillsbury Wines. I have included my personal tasting Notes.
· 2018 Roan Blend (This is one of their first wine creations)
- 50% Grenache, 25% Syrah, 25% Mourvèdre.
- Color: Ruby Red.
- Nose: Ripe red fruits including Sweet Strawberries, Cherries, and a hint of Licorice.
- Palate: Full body luscious tannins with Strawberries, Raspberries, Cherries with a lingering finish of Sweet candy and Pink Bubblegum.
· 2017 Viognier
- Color: Gold with a pale center and tones of green hues.
- Nose: Ripe Green Apples, Lemon, Honey, Hazelnut, and Light Citrus.
- Palate: Light in body with Melon, Apricot, Hazelnut, Cocoa, and a lingering Floral refreshing and crisp finish.
You can purchase these food friendly estate wines at their vineyard or your local wine store. Give them a Whirl, Sip, and Savor…. You’ll be glad you did.
Shannon (Lulu’s Wine Gal)
#grapesociety52 #pillsburywines #arizonawines #willcoxwines #winereview #winereviews #winetasting #winelover #estatewines #familyowned